Thursday, November 18, 2010

My thoughts on Yarn Snobbery

You spend enough time in the fiber arts, you definitely come across the concept of Yarn Snobbery.  Those who will not even touch anything acryllic or GODFORBID something you can purchase at JoAnns!  

My first experience with it came early on.   I knew for my last birthday I wanted to take a crochet class.   So I told my husband that if he and the kids wanted to wrap something for me, they could go buy me a couple hooks and a skein of yarn.   He tells of walking by the yarn display at Walmart and my (then) 4yo daughter leaping over and grabbing this one skein and declaring "this beautiful yarn is for mama!"

Well, it sure was colorful.   Hot pink, sky blue and purple Red Heart super saver yarn...nice and scratchy to the touch!  I practiced a few rounds on it, made a few Barbie towels and went onto my class at the Local Yarn Shop.   When I pulled out my hooks, still tangled in the brightly colored yarn the instructor said "ew, definitely dont touch that stuff" in a way that made me think she expected I was planning on crocheting with fresh baby seal entrails.   Properly chastened, I moved onto wools and fancier yarns.   But as my craft led me to amigurumi, I learned that the cheaper, stiffer yarn worked so much better for dolls and toys (as a very floppy headed Blossom Powerpuff doll can attest).   So I now have a nice supply or pretty yarns, acryllic yarns, cotton yarn and Red Heart Super Saver yarns.

I recently stumbled up on this pattern that tweaked my interest and made me drop everything to start.   Puppet scarves!   My daughters must.have.these for Christmas.

And what better brightly colored yarn to use for my older daughters scarf than the one she picked out to start me on this journey.   So I have been crocheting with the pink/purple/blue mess and the more it comes together, the more I love it.   Woven into each stitch is the image of my daughter's smiling face, memories of her standing there proudly as I unwrapped it...now hopefully worked into something that will make her smile when she unwraps it.  This obnoxious, not soft, not wool, not expensive yarn has endeared itself to me.

(WIP, mixed with pink, since I didnt have enough of the original yarn to make the scarf long enough)




Down with Yarn Snobbery!  

No comments:

Post a Comment